Unrequited love is love that you give to someone, but they don’t give the love back. This can be in any kind of relationship from friendship love to romantic love. This can be painful when you are in this kind of relationship and the more you understand this kind of love, the more problems you will see with it.
Understanding Unrequited Love
Unrequited love is love that is one sided. This means that you are in a relationship and even if you enjoy each other, it doesn’t mean that they love you. This kind of unreturned love can cause you to feel embarrassed or ashamed that you fell for it. It causes people to make bad relationship decisions and rather they know that the person feels this way or not, it can leave you feeling confused and with low self-esteem.
Knowing Unrequited Love
Here are some prime examples of what unrequited love looks like:
- You fell for someone that isn’t available to you.
- You have strong romantic feelings for your best friend, but they don’t feel the same.
- You want to get back with your ex, but they have already moved on.
- You feel strong feelings for someone that is in the movies.
- You feel romantic feelings for a family member or a friend.
- You fall in love with someone that you know doesn’t love you.
Signs of Unrequited Love
You may or may not know that the person that you are in love with loves you back or not. There are some signs that you can look for to help you to know if the person is giving you love back or if you are with someone that has unrequited love:
- The person wants to have more boundaries with you than they do with other people. They act uncomfortable around you.
- They flirt with other people when you are around.
- They make you feel ignored.
- They talk about their attraction to others.
- They want you to give them dating advice.
- You feel that this person cannot do anything wrong.
- You put all the effort into the relationship.
Remember, if someone is meant to be with you then they will put as much effort into the relationship as you do. They will be around you because they enjoy you and not to get things from you. They will have boundaries that are healthy for both of you.
Why Does Unrequited Love Happen?
Unrequited love happens for different reasons. Some will have this kind of relationship because it seems safe for them. It is easier for them to not get stuck on someone and to not allow their heart to get broken. This kind of love can be addicting because it can be made up in the mind and this gets rid of all of the challenges.
This is also addicting because it of escapism. This can feel like a drug and it can make people to feel less painful than facing reality.
Dealing with Unrequited Love
It can be hard to deal with unrequited love because this is love that is only one sided. When you have to deal with this kind of love, it requires you to be compassionate with yourself and to be more tolerant. You have to learn to heal from this kind of relationship and you can heal by allowing yourself to feel the feelings that you are having. Don’t shame yourself.
Make sure that you have compassionate with yourself and any traumas that you dealt with in your past. This can be childhood trauma that made you feel that your life was not possible and that there was no hope.
There is nothing wrong with you if you fall into unrequited love, this is just something that happens to some people. You are someone that has strong love, and you are just trying to give it to someone else, other than yourself. Be loving and compassionate with yourself and make sure that you respect yourself and love yourself. This is what will help you to move on.